If the Answer is: “An elevator pitch. I am not kidding,” then what on earth is the question? The Question is: What is the fastest and easiest way to improve how you and your team executes?

This is a series of three short articles on the power of an Elevator Pitch. In Part I, I described the elements of an elevator pitch.  With this post I want to give an example and I want to share a pain free way to develop your elevator pitch so that it doesn’t feel like you have yet another item on your three page To-Do list.

So here is an example:

“The contact centers mission is to drive continuous improvement in Customer Satisfaction while maintaining or lowering our Year-over-Year Cost/Contact. We have been doing a great job on cost reduction, but CSAT and our order attach rates are flat. Going forward, we are going to slow down the cost reductions, and reinvest in better outcomes for our customers: We are aiming for 20% improvement in both CSAT and attach rate over the next 12 months. We will accomplish that by 1) adding simulations to the new hire assessment process to strengthen the team, 2) using designed experiments to align the offer to the customer profile, and 3) leveraging agent-assisted automation to ensure accurate call recapping, which has been a big source of customer dissatisfaction.”

It has all four of the elements of an elevator speech...the mission, the current score, what winning looks like, and how we will win...and you can say it in about 30 secs.  OK, you have to say it rather fast but it was close!

So some of you might be saying, “OK, I get it. I can see how it might be helpful. But it is going to take me some time to develop and scrub this. How am I going to find time for that? Have you seen my calendar? I’m back-to-back-to-back.”

A calendar that is too packed to write an elevator pitch will have to be addressed in another post. For now, I will accept that you don’t have time and offer a suggestion that it is almost impossible to have an excuse for: develop and rehearse your pitch in the shower.

For the most part, there shouldn’t be too many distractions in there. No phone. No internet. No text messages. The dog and your kids aren’t in there buggin’ you, at least I hope not. If you listen to the radio in the shower, I am guessing you could catch the news or your favorite tunes at other times until you have this down. In a six to eight minute shower, you could run through your elevator pitch several times. In a matter of days, it would be smooth and compelling.

So now you have an elevator pitch or you will soon (unless your showers are way more interesting than mine). If you have excuses for why you can’t develop your elevator pitch in the shower, please entertain us in the comments section!

Getting clear on the four elements of an elevator pitch is a good start towards better execution.  However, in Part III, I'll share my thoughts on the two key steps which will help ensure better results.